Wednesday 7 January 2015

ATHABASCA PICKEREL


The Trout. The Jackfish.The Sturgeon. The Cod. The Salmon. Which is the fish which represents this great land of ours? I would argue the great Canadian fish is in fact the Pickerel. The Wall-Eye. I never knew what this creature looked like till my friend Kimberley asked me to paint one for her husband Brad for Christmas. I looked at about three hundred pictures of this awe-inspiring ancient creature. Wow! Ferocious. Beautiful like Barracuda or Tiger Shark. The spines are poisonous. They are silver & gold & live for decades at the bottom of distant northern lakes. They have nasty teeth & psycho-killer eyes.  The flesh for eating is white as a snow storm in the arctic dark. Delicious. When I think of Canada I think of Pickerel. When I think of Pickerel I think of Canada.


1 comment:

  1. Nice one Robbie! You've done it again! I really like the map and foil incorporation. Vibrant colours.

    ReplyDelete