Monday 13 October 2014

THE RED BULLS OF THE SUN

Odysseus, the great first hero of the western tradition, was cautioned never to kill the bulls of the sun. His men, starving, could not resist. When Odysseus came back to camp he found his men eating of the forbidden flesh & all but Odysseus were doomed from that moment forward. As humans we are suspended between two worlds, the world of the spirit & the world of the flesh. On the plateau above Delphi I came upon two red bulls under an ancient tree. I was filled with a moment of fear. The bulls were huge, unfenced, with sharp horns. I saw them suddenly with my otherworldly eyes. In that moment, I knew myself as Odysseus. I heeded the warning. I saw the bulls of the sun were to be known but not to be possessed. I bowed my youthful head & accepted the gift of my vision. The bulls watched me in silence with their soft gaze. They let me pass. The sun above was blindingly bright.




No comments:

Post a Comment