Wednesday 16 January 2013

THE GAZE



In medieval times, it was thought that not only did eyes receive light they emitted spiritual energy. Spiritual lighthouses. One looks into the eyes of the true love. A beam of purity strikes the soon-to-be-beloved. Thus smitten, love blossoms. “The eyes are the window of the soul. We accept this as true....  we can see into a person by looking into their eyes. I go with the first theory... a light shines from within. We show the world who we are. My friend Jordan has powerful, sad, soulful  eyes. He has seen too much but he is not afraid to show the world his dark understanding. When you see the darkness but allow it to sink into shadow the light becomes transparent...luminous... numinous. My painting is finally a painting about the gaze. I gaze at the painting... a painting of those sad, mesmerizing dark eyes of my friend... gazing back. I paint the gaze. Can you hold the gaze? It is in that holding of the gaze that all art, all love lies.

1 comment:

  1. You are truly an amazing artist who knows how to capture things we might never take the time to notice!!!! You are very creative and thoughtful of your art and poetry. I look forward each and every time to watch and read what you can put into words and alot of us are not capable of doing!!!!

    Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete