Tuesday 29 January 2013

Drawing Board

The basis of any great painting is a great drawing. My skills are so circumscribed. My talent so cocooned. The ideas in my head are  an infinite ocean of breezes & currents. How can I crystallize them in a drawing? Once I have the drawing I have the seed. From there I can grow the tree. The canvas with a drawing on it is a blueprint for a city of the future; for an ancient ruin; for a map of the universe before the big bang. Oil paint is  rainbow lava. It flows out over the form of the drawing, fills in the grooves & hash marks, the banks & avenues that I have decreed. I go fishing with my pencil... fishing in the cool brooks  of my mind... I wish I could leave the silver trout alone in the cool shadows of the mossy rock... alas... they become visible when the graphite smooths onto the fabric of the canvas... now you see the taxonomy of my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment