Tuesday 5 January 2016

DAY DREAMS of DENNIS

   My daughter Cecilia had a gentle cat named Dennis. His fur was soft... white as an April bunny rabbit. He had a pink nose. Alas, to escape the noises of the day, he climbed into the still-warm, wheel well of the neighbour’s car. When the engine started the inevitable happened. Mercifully it was instantaneous. I paint this little homage to the brief life of a beautiful creature for my beautiful daughter. 
    I often wonder what cats think of while lying in the dust-moted columns of the afternoon sun. They know an ancient wisdom. House cats meditate on memories of the life of the big predator felines.. leopards, ocelots & sabre-tooths. In my dreams sun-spangled jaguars drift in the shadows of the rain forest & watch my every move. My ancestors carved images of the Jaguar-Gods… half men… half cats into the walls of their Sun-temples. If I stop thinking for a moment & let my mind slip free I remember the day dreams of all those cats.


1 comment:

  1. Cool! I love all of Jaguar imagery. What did you use as a reference?

    ReplyDelete